Seed Production (Variety Release, Identification, Maintenance, Breeder Seed Multiplication, Certified Seed Production)
The course will include theoretical lectures followed by hands-on practical exercise and visits to variety evaluation and release facilities, variety maintenance and early generation seed production and associated post-harvest seed operation activities. The course will focus on self-pollinated crops and touch upon cross pollinated ones covering laboratory, processing, storage, distribution, and field operations.
Main topics and practical sessions include:
● Principles and application of variety evaluation and release,
● Principles and application of variety maintenance and early generation seed production for self and cross-pollinated crops,
● Principles and application of quality assurance-based procedures in quality seed production,
● Principles and application of quality and healthy seed monitoring procedures in EGS and certified seed production at field and lab,
● Seed processing, storage and use of early generation seed production for further multiplication,
● Sowing, crop management, and
● Practical sessions and visit to EGS and certified seed production fields and facilities.